Zerg Training

Discuss your favorite Zerg strategies or ask questions!
BHartnett

Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:04 pm

I'm having some problems with zerg when it gets to mid-late game. I never really know what to transition to after the first stage of a match is over. So if i could get someone to train me, or to just explain on here, that'd be great. Image
Kool

Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:31 pm

What rank are you?
I would suggest going to our Sky Marshall, Daedalus. He is a top level zerg, and he is very nice, and friendly. If you are gold and below, I can help you, as I am top gold level (only silver in game, but I am going on massive win streaks, only losing to 6 pools.)
With great power comes great electricity bill.

Platinum - Zerg - ???
ShazamPoof

Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:19 pm

Honestly, as a Zerg as any game gets longer, injecting becomes harder. No pro gamer can do it perfectly, but it always can be done better. It is by far the best way to improve. As for transitions I play a very reactive style so I just build the composition I think best counters their current units and set up the tech buildings for the tech path I think they are taking, all of which needs larvae.
BHartnett

Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:44 am

I'm silver 1v1 but I got that with toss. I'd like to think I could get gold with zerg, but idk I'll take any help that i can get. I usually end up trying to make a little bit of everything lol.
DOUBLED

Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:35 pm

BHartnett,

The question you stated is difficult to tackle, but I will try.

Depending on your opponent, you should have an idea of what you are up against from scouting. The key to zerg is to counter your opponents build. So, once you have an idea of their general game plan, say terran mech, have a build or 2 that will get you to your end game composition. If either muta to swarmhost, viper, brood, or mass roach, you need to have a general game plan for each opposing race.

Once I get a mic, I can help you with your decision making Image
BHartnett

Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:03 pm

I'll have to take you up on that Doubled. Let me know when you have your mic, and thanks for the help.
DOUBLED

Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:23 pm

Just got a mic yesterday and will start laddering and getting my skill back in a few days. I am just watching day9 daily's to figure things out now. Here is a good one for protoss ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EIx8lo5Tms
DarkRain

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:12 am

A good pointer for zerg in a zvp is to somehow always transition into roach/hydra, which is somewhat the core army structure to branch off of, such as hydra/SH, hydra/Ultra, Roach/Infestor, so forth and so on. I have been wanting to get out of gold, and I think that I can, I just can't find the motivation to just start playing more ladder. If I am on I can help you with any questions you may have.
You wish you knew what I was doing
Trust me...
You don't wanna know...
Napton

Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:05 am

Hi Darkrain!

I usually think of roach hydra as a mid game tech in ZvP. Most builds use early roach and ling pressure then depending on the protoss' build you can add in hydras and tons of updrades.. or not! Sometimes it's better to try for a roach max and prepare for a muta or swarm host transition, or even go to roach hydra, get hive, and prepare for something totally different like ultra ling. Zergs win with big banks and fast tech switches when things get late.
Napton
Aeleion

Sun May 04, 2014 12:39 am

I'm having trouble against ZvZ, I will sometimes get rushed by Speed lings and I don't know what to do against them?

Should I start making some lings to or should I use spine crawlers?
Aeleion the Alien
Finrod

Sat May 10, 2014 9:11 pm

After the early game, it is usually a good idea to know what your opponent's tech path is likely going to be. Ultimately you want to get a really strong late game army, and knowing what unit you need to make to get to that point along the way is key
EdibleRex

Fri May 16, 2014 2:55 pm

Super awesome video showing how good ling hydra is. Here is the build for those interested
[spoiler]9: OL
15: Hatch (check for proxies/cannons with drone)
17: Gas (~2:35)
16: Pool
18: OL
***Queens x 2, Lings x 1
@100Gas: pull 2 drones
@100 Gas: Ling Speed
30: Hatch (3rd)
42: Queen (In Main - 3rd/~6min)
*** Pump Lings as needed (don't underdrone!)
@100 Gas: Lair, Gas @ Nat., Add 2 into Main Gas
@7min: Gas x 2 (@main/nat)
@100% Lair: Hydra Den
***Get Hydra Ups as affordable!
@10:45: Gas x 2, Evo x 1, Roach Warren
Transition into RoachHydra SLOWLY!!!
***Get Ups as affordable!
@11min: Infest Pit
@12min: Hive, Hatch (4th)
End Goal: 4 bases, Maxed RoachHydraViper Army with full ups if needed[/spoiler]
other than that scouting is key in every matchup (sac OL at appropriate time, scout front with lings etc.) outside of that watching pro games helps learn what compositions to use against what.
Aeleion wrote:I'm having trouble against ZvZ, I will sometimes get rushed by Speed lings and I don't know what to do against them?
Bane nest as gas allows (get it even before speed if you're super scared) and spine @ 5min at the natural. Also having 2 queens helps block a ramp and having an OL right outside his base helps spot the lings as they move across the map.
4sd Forever

Mon May 19, 2014 7:34 pm

I always need help on zerg Image
Paelo

Sat May 24, 2014 10:46 pm

I need help as well :/ . I lost 8 matches in a roll two weeks ago.
I'm Paelo .-.
ShazamPoof

Sun May 25, 2014 12:19 pm

Inject Inject Inject, there is no quick tip for the top, if you aren't good at injecting working on anything else isn't worth it.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:23 am

I could always give some pointers if I'm online. I am a Platinum Zerg, but I could give some basic pointers to help out.
GOIC

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:28 pm

Aeleion wrote:I'm having trouble against ZvZ, I will sometimes get rushed by Speed lings and I don't know what to do against them? Should I start making some lings to or should I use spine crawlers?
I would go with crawlers
FOR KING AND COUNTRY
GOIC

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:33 pm

love all races but zerg is my first love Image
the swarm will get you!!
FOR KING AND COUNTRY
GOIC

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:35 pm

i believe i got issues with mechanics. is there a way to get that fixed. what works/worked for you guys? it has been long time since i played sc so i might be rusty. thx
FOR KING AND COUNTRY
Chase

Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:53 pm

i have trouble with knowing when to take extractot(s) if going roaches with 1/1 upgrades and roach speed
  • Information