Boxing themed event ideas

Forum for officer related discussion. Only Ensign + JCOS may view and reply in this Forum.

Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:25 am

Ok Captains lets work together to come up with a plan for this event.

As you know from our last meeting JDman had an idea for a Boxing themed event where you get points for Macro, Micro and style similar to how boxing matches are scored. I think this is a really fun idea and something a little less full on and competitive as Ship Squads and Ship Wars and migfht help bring the clan together a bit.

The original plan was set over 1 day a week for several months however I'd like to follow the Ship Squads 3 day setup as that was one of our most popular events this year.

The idea is that we will stream it and try and cast it similar to a boxing match, we will have 3 judges writing score cards who arent casting. We run it Friday Night, Saturday night and then do the final matches on Sunday.

OR

We can run it over a Friday and Saturday without Sunday.

This is the basic layout of the event. I would like to get the ball rolling fast so I can do up some advertising and set the event sometime soon.

I'm looking for further ideas from you to make the event something entertaining and fun for our members. Discuss here.

Thanks,

Fleet Admiral Doadrift

Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:18 am

Its not hard to do a 2-3 day event we have done many in the past. The clan usually has a great time.
Tyrael

Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:54 pm

Unfortunately I was not at the meeting when this was discussed so unsure if the following was fleshed out then.

Is it based on the accumulation of points over the given days to determine the winner or is it elimination? If it is elimination I fail to see how points would have any impact on the winner.

After all the game is always going to end in a KO unless you arbitrarily limit the match to 10,15 or 20 minutes for example however this could be deemed as unfair for those who are better late game vs early. You would also need to ensure the same 3 judges were available for all the matches to ensure consistency and fairness to all involved.

Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:38 pm

This really shouldn't be done over a 3 Day period lets try it one night first to see how well it works. It could get tricky with points and scoring. It was designed like a Boxing match up to have 2 smaller fights, and then the main event.

The matchups i intended.

Bronze-Gold
Gold-Diamond
And then a Masters heavy weight slug fest.
Each round is 15 min no matter whats happening in the game.

Each match would be 3 "rounds" unless there was a TKO which would only be if one of the fighters completed a specific task in a certain amount of time.

Example: Using only ravens to kill the opponents first CC,Nexus,Hatch These TKOS would have to be tough, as well as something the player would have to go for like a real fighter would wait like a cobra for the right time to give his opponent an upper cut and its lights out. If the TKO happened in the first 7 mins of round 1 of the first match up then they win.

Like Tyreal said there are to many people that need to show up for all three matches. This was a problem in Ship Squads, and the problem of people not showing and teams having to be changed at the last second caused more a "Rift" then a "coming together". I know that im retired so my opinion no longer matters, but seeing as how this was my idea i hope you at least acknowledge my to cents

Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:09 am

Tyrael wrote:Is it based on the accumulation of points over the given days to determine the winner or is it elimination? If it is elimination I fail to see how points would have any impact on the winner.
The winner would be whoever wont the final fight for example:

Day 1

Match 1 Entrant 1 v Entrant 2
Match 2 Entrant 3 v Entrant 4
Match 3 Entrant 5 v Entrant 6
Match 4 Entrant 7 v Entrant 8 (Maybe 8 people that would be 2 per ship if we went the ship route)

Day 2

Match 1 winner v Match 2 winner
Match 3 winner v Match 4 winner

Winner of each of these face off in the Title Fight

-----------------

I really don't see how hard this is to do over 2 days, when we split events over weeks people lose interest in them.
Look at ship squads, it was over a few days and we had LOTS of viewers each day on twitch and a huge clan turnout even though most members didn't play, because they could see the event unfolding.

This would be the easiest way to get all the judges together and in the same place, keep viewership and keep it simple.
We don't really need 3 rounds, 1 round of 15 minutes keeps it fast paced and fun, TKO if you beat them in under 15 minutes. That way with messing around between matches etc the event will probably go 2 hours depending on the amount of entrants on Friday night and a little longer on the Saturday because we could do the 3 rounds for the title fight.

The idea is to have a fun but simple event contained to one weekend that is interesting to watch and play.

Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:46 am

Why not just do ship squads again then? The boxing should be its own stand alone event on big night, and if it works we can add it to the rotation of regular events like arcade night and training night.

Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:28 am

Because we have already done Ship Squads, I mean the same thing could be said, if people enjoy the event we can downscale it and run it weekly. I just don't see it getting the same kind of attention weekly as it would as a special event.
I also want to bring new things to the clan instead of just redoing old event.
I mean everyone agreed at the meeting that this was going to be the next event?
Tyrael

Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:40 am

Sorry but I don't think this is really viable given the nuances involved.

You set a time limit and everyone will just all in/cheese like Darwin said. In the case their all in fails, scoring points on macro and micro is just going to end up being a debarcle due to differences in the races etc.

Simply put, SC2 is really not a suitable platform to try assimilate the features of boxing into.

If unique events want to be held,we need to step away from the competitive modes as they all boil down to one team clearly besting the other. As a result you're limited in what you can change to main fairness.
Last edited by Tyrael on Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:31 am

If everyone agrees on that then we need to come up with some ideas. The aim is to have something fun, enticing, streamable, be able to keep it to a weekend and to make it inclusive and less competitive to help raise some morale among the clan.
Tyrael

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:42 am

How about a fun/drunk night.

I use to do this once a fortnight/month a few years ago. Very simple and easy to do, grab as many as you can on a Friday or Saturday night, have a few or many drinks for those who want which will create its own entertainment. Then you either jump into arcade or team games and swap players around every now and again to encourage mingling.

It can be streamed/required if wanted and I've only ever had one person in the numerous times I've ran it play up.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:37 am

Similar to what I recommended at the meeting which was a party night with drinking games and things. Or my general Friday Night Motherfuckers lol.
Tyrael

Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:06 am

It is your best bet at a non competitive, fun event which everyone can participate in without hassle.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:15 am

I'd like to hear everyone elses thoughts on that, I agree but we had people complaining a lot of clan members we underaged etc and we are promoting drinking or whatever.

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:19 pm

Well I guess we can run an event like this and Ship Squads II?

Coming up soon we have our 24 hour charity stream like we did last year however I want to see a LOT more activity out of the UMC before attempting that.
Tyrael

Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:13 pm

Guess or suppose? Let's just do it since no one else evidently wishes to comment.

Activity is a whole other kettle of fish to tackle.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:42 pm

Darwin what weekends seem to be free of clan wars at the moment and we can get this locked in.

Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:12 am

We have to host major events, we can't not host them because we have clan wars every weekend. I guess we just have to try and conflict with as little as possible, a clan this size is going to have a lot on and tbh more options is a win for members.

In the future we should try and plan out maybe a 6 month calendar with what we know is on (CTL etc) and plan major events for any gaps we can find. I'd be happy to work on it with you or get the Admirals to help.
Tyrael

Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:31 am

Admiral*

A calender is fine however a lot of the smaller clan wars against Risen and the like aren't planned nor is it necessarily feasible to plan them 6 months in advance.

Its just simply a matter of picking a date and sticking with it based on what we know at the time and if a conflict occurs, assess it then. With 3 days per week to play with, I don't see it being a large issue.
  • Information