Inactives 2: The Looming of the Void

Forum for officer related discussion. Only Ensign + JCOS may view and reply in this Forum.

Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:33 pm

Hello Admirals and Captains,

As you may know we have had to set the Inactivity notifier on the rosters page (The script that turns inactive players red) to off thus showing always green as right now our rosters page runs off of the HEART OF THE SWARM API and most of our members are now playing LEGACY OF THE VOID.

As we do not yet have access to the LEGACY OF THE VOID API it will show members as inactive when they aren't.

As such when conducting inactives please do the following:

1. Go to the rosters page and check the last log in dates for the player, check they have logged in this month.
2. Check that they aren't regular Teamspeak users/active in the clan some way.
3. Check they haven't already posted that they will be inactive.
4. If possible add them to your friends list and send them a message in game.

If you have not seen or heard from an y members and they have not logged into the forum in the last month post them as inactive.

it would REALLY make things easy if you ALL recommend to ALL YOUR SHIP CREW to CHECK THE FORUMS REGULARLY. This means that you will easily know they are active at step 1.

I realize this is annoying and confusing but once LOTV launches and we have access to the API things will return to normal.

PLEASE COMMENT TO LET ME KNOW YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THIS - if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Fleet Admiral Doadrift
Boo

Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:09 pm

I have read and understood this.
I used to do some stuff. Now I don't anymore.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:03 am

i also recommend sending them a website PM as they will get an email about it even if they do not check the site regularly
Tyrael

Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:37 am

How about giving captains access to mass pms? So we can message the 5 odd people at once instead of having to do each pm individually.
Also makes it easier notifying people for numerous things, be it ship events, news, meetings or the fact they are inactive etc.
Last edited by Tyrael on Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:53 am

The way that mass dispatch works on this forum is weird, you cannot send to each ship individually, you would send it to everyone in the clan.
Tyrael

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 am

A pretty standard feature to be able to send a pm to more than one person without sending it to all...

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:47 am

Yeah, it would. Maybe we could bug remo about that.
But right now, mass dispatches are done by website grouping, meaning youd have to send it to everyone in the 'graduate' group
Tyrael

Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:24 pm

Well something definitely needs to give, be it better forum support, better user groups etc.

Without the proper tools in place, I'd see very little being done unfortunately.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:43 pm

Only people in the high command group can send mass pms, it's just the way the access levels for the site are set up. I would suggest that perhaps doadrift or neonfire craft a promotional pm to send out to everyone. Asking them to report to there ship sub forum on the site. Also to cut on time for captians go to the rainbow activity and start with the red names and check there forum login. That should cut down on some of the busy work. Also on several occasions I have pmed an entire ship. It sucks but if you open 2 windows and copy paste you can burn through it quick. The problem is pms are usless unless they check the forums in the first place which sadly most people don't. Neon mentioned a mass pm causing an email alert. This is your best bet. If anyone would like assistance in ship wide messaging I'll gladly help just pm me.
Tyrael

Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:45 am

We are well aware HC is the current group who can send mass PM's.
The reason PM's were mentioned is in their default setting, any user who receives a PM also receives an email. So whilst yes, odds are the PM itself won't be viewed, there is an off chance if they check their emails they will view the notification and come to the website. This is not limited to mass PM's.

Individually sending out PM's is possible but a waste a time. I go send out 20 pm's and in a short space of time I'd need to do the same again as people start disappearing again. With the proper tools it wouldn't be a issue.

In the end, I think this is a slippery slope as to how much you want Captains/Vice Admirals to do in order to establish if they are in-active or not.

Realistically focus should be placed on the game, through recruitment and being active in game to encourage people to partake within the community. If this is successful, your in-actives would naturally drop as people want to be involved. Not the typically 'dead clan/dead community' comments made when the chat channel has 3 people in it and no one shows for events.
Last edited by Tyrael on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:51 am

Yeh there is only so much that is reasonable to ask. I can ask Remo to look at the mass PM's thing but from the way the groups have been set it will be a MAJOR overhaul of the forum - redoing every group on the forum which in turn will have a knock on effect to our rosters page and everything else.

If its was phpBB I would know how to change it but this forum program is very weird.
Tyrael

Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:54 am

It wouldn't even need to be setup for groups, most forums allow manually entering people into the one PM.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:26 am

Thats what I am saying lol, this forum is a bit archaic, but I will ask Remo what he can do nonetheless.
  • Information