Event ideas - 24 Hour charity stream

Forum for officer related discussion. Only Ensign + JCOS may view and reply in this Forum.

Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:45 pm

Last year we ran a 24 hour charity stream for St. Judes and raised around $200 for a sick child. We planned to make this a yearly event and its time to run it again.

The last stream was a lot of fun. Basically we play a bunch of different games (all starcraft related) non stop over 24 hours and there is a donation button on the stream.

* Run the event for LOTV launch (on the day its released) - I think this would be a good idea because everyone will be online playing anyway and there will already be a lot of excitement in the community.

* A possible mini-competition? - 24 hours is a lot of time to fill so I thought we could run a few smaller events inside the 24 hours.

This thread is about coming up with ideas and a time for the event. Please let me know what you think.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:26 am

Ok Guys November 10 is the date. Lets get these ideas rolling and I will make some posters up on photoshop so we can start advertising ASAP.

All officers/Captains/Admirals/Legends don't be afraid to throw ideas out here - remember we have 24 ENTIRE HOURS to fill with fun and interesting SC2 and ConFed content!

I am definitely open to arcade games, mini tournaments and maybe MAYBE even a short Diablo 3 and Heroes section to keep the stream fresh if we all think it might be good for a few breaks here and there.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:24 am

Firstly, when would we commence the 24 hours? At the launch of the servers or at a set time in the evening (USA) when we'd have the most online to start it off with a bang. Personally I would start it in the evening as you'd get two distinctive peaks and allows several hours for any launch issues the servers may have earlier on in the day.

Going with the above would also allow two tournaments to be held during the busier time frames. Whilst I doubt we'd struggle for content, the matches from the tournament could be used to fill in spare time, with the matches not casted having the opportunity to do so.

For the actual layout, you could have one where anyone can jump in, league specific (Bronze to Gold or Plat and Plat/Diamond and Masters) or even branch specific (UMC or Keeper only). These are simple concepts which is ideally all you'd want in order to not tie anything down with complications.

Moving further into the event, you could go into showcase matches which could be any of the following and more:
Keeper v Keeper showcase.
All Stars v Keepers.
UMC command v HC.
Ship v Ship (Could be a small tournament itself - precursor to ship wars/squads
League showcase - Bronze v Bronze etc. etc.

Any of the above in team format.

I also don't see an issue with simply doing some ladder be it 3's or 4's etc. Will also serve as a good opportunity to a. Recruit and b. advertise the stream to gain extra viewers and sources of donations for the charity.

That can further roll into arcade be it inhouse or if numbers drop, join random public matches to get a variety, not just photon cycle ad nauseam.

I'd probably refrain from touching other games if possible at this stage but it could always be a possible if things are turning stale and a change in pace is required.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:57 am

Good ideas, last time we had peopel ladder quite a bit (its was our first time running the event) it worked well because I covered the US nighttime period (being daytime in Aus) I was extremely sick tho and people found it hilarious to watch me lose and almost pass out lol.

My general plan was to have the laddering as filler between the more organized event parts.

Keeper showmatches are a great idea because we want to show off the clan, I think 3's and 4s are a fun idea as well. We wanmt the streeam to be interesting to bring viewers and as its LOTV launch we have a great opportunity as we will be streaming something brand new!

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:42 pm

Us here in high command will gladly defeat the UMC command on the field of battle for the stream

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:43 pm

Personally i think a 3v3/4v4 would be best for that to show unity

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:49 pm

There is a problem with release day. It is smack in the middle of the work week on a Tuesday. I expect you're going to have a lot more trouble getting people to fill the 24hrs in the work week than you would on a weekend.

Honestly I can't imagine why Blizzard would schedule it thus but they did.

Maybe we should consider the following Saturday after launch?

Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:17 pm

I imagine its because for some reason all games release on a Tuesday.

We could do the Saturday. What does everyone think?

Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:13 pm

I agree that Saturday would probably be a better time. We should have more members online on the weekend. In addition to that I believe that during the first (couple) day(s) it's mostly going to be the big streamers getting all the viewers + the active players are probably going to ladder instead of watching streams.

I am surprised no one has mentioned archon mode yet. That should be quite entertaining watching people fail due to miscommunication and such and allows for interesting dynamics (at least that is my experience lol)

By the way, is there one person up for the whole 24 hours streaming or are people taking turns on who streams or how does that work?
I used to do some stuff. Now I don't anymore.

Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:23 am

Last time it was people doing 4-8hr shifts streaming.

I would guess our best bet is to have each stream have his own twitch channel and we host them from the official confed channel. I don't think we want to get into the mess of sharing an account amongst a bunch of people like we did last time.

Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:41 am

Remo I was thinking about that, we can either do that or make a new account and give out the username and password and share it to our main twitch so we dont risk losing it.

Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:27 am

Yeah making a throwaway and then hosting it once is an option for sure. I would imagine it is easier for the streamers to let streamers just keep using their own accounts that they already have configured *but* doing it your way avoids needing someone with access to the official channel to hang around the whole time rehosting when needed.

On a related note, I'd like everyone who is volunteering to stream to do a test run beforehand. Last time maybe half the people who said they were going to stream were able to actually get a stream up and running when the time came. Let's take some time to troubleshoot and fine tune quality settings for each person as a group or something.

How are we going to advertise this?
  • Information