Some advice and food for thought for LOTV launch

Forum for officer related discussion. Only Ensign + JCOS may view and reply in this Forum.

Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:36 am

Hello JCOS/HC/ETC,

I was talking to our Fleet Admiral last night about somethings I have noticed and some possible ideas leading up to Legacy of the Void. Please take this as an idea suggestion.

LOTV beta has ended and it looks like we have about 9 actually active players, one being me who played 1 game in the last 30 days between exam preparation. Being that LOTV has ended I can only presume 90% of our clan members haven't jumped back onto HOTS and are either inactive/left the clan/taking a break until LOTV or something like that.

The forum is looking a bit dead as well with basically me and JD talking to each other about how bad Halo 5 is and there hasn't been an event posted in 3 weeks (I have noticed the TLSL which looks fantastic). Also as Faded has said to me we can expect things to pick up with the launch of LOTV. So before I get into a basic idea or two I just wanted to give that perspective of a member on the outside looking in, things look quiet, especially from the forum.

IDEAS (I have made this a heading so Darwin can skip my introduction and get the nitty gritty) -

1. Twitch -
Originally when I was still FA we were putting in place a 24 hour stream for LOTV launch, I've discussed that with Fleet Admiral Tyrael and its abundantly clear that with current activity levels thats impossible.

My suggestion - 1 person (Thats it 1 person) goes on our twitch page and streams the entire campaign from beginning to end. SIMPLE.

Pros -
- Easy, takes minimal effort, Requires 1 person
- Advertising could be easy/minimal (Foreign Advisor?)
- A HUGE potential for watchers as it covers people like JDman who either have broken PC's or haven't purchased the game but want to see the campaign before they get it.
- We have a recruitment button on the twitch page so the caster can just mention it here and there and thats it.

Cons -
- Not as extravagant as a tournament, clan war or 24 hour stream.
- Not multiplayer related/ Not showing competitive skill of clan.

NOTE: I would have been happy to do this myself however I have 2 exams back to back the day before and on launch of LOTV, I wont be playing LOTV until maybe a week after launch.

2. Use the Forum

Sounds dumb but just give it a thought. We need to have a forum that appears active so people will engage with it or feel the need to check it out.
All we need is that those that are still around use the forum, post about whatever, games, funny pictures, music, it doesn't matter, if 10 or so people start using the forum a bit it will add a lot of content and only needs to be done leading up to and a few days after launch and by then the bait is out and new members should be coming in.

Pros -
- Easy, requires a handful of people who are online anyway
- Should be using the forum anyway? Just this is more visible to new members.
- Creates community atmosphere.

Cons -
- Might be a little spammy, depends on the effort people put in.

Final Thoughts (Not an idea):

LOTV will be great and the launch should bring in a lot of people, the things the clan needs to think about are POTENTIAL and RETENTION. Can we sit back and expect LOTV to fix everything? No. Does LOTV offer a lot of potential to rebuild? Yes.
Lastly we need to think about why people join the clan. My list of reasons would be (in no particular order):

Community
Training
Events

The issue we have is that LOTV brings IN GAME changes such as in game tournaments and events, an improved ingame chat system and community functions. On top of that it also seems like they have been and could potentially be a bit anti-clan, or at the very least make things a bit more difficult for us.
So what can we offer potential recruits that they can't easily get or find in the game itself? Can we adapt? Do we need to make changes?

Thanks for reading and I hope you have a think about what I have mentioned. I finish exams mid-November and then I should be active until beginning of December when I send my computer to QLD.

Thanks again,
Doadrift

Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:06 am

Guys please note this post isn't meant to be critical, its meant top spur thought within management/people interested in helping with clan management in the lead up to LOTV and beyond.
ShazamPoof

Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:03 am

We need at least some sort of outline so we are all on the same page, I think that would be nice

Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:39 am

Darwin like I said it wasn't a critique or aimed at anyone it was more I had a discussion with Tyrael and afterwards Faded to see what was planned (I have been away but still care deeply about the clan) and it seemed there was an issue possibly running an event so I just thought maybe I can get the ball rolling with some easy to implement ideas, stuff that wouldn't take a massive amount of planning or effort to pull off and if possible stir some conversation.

It sucks you are away for launch, I (as I said) literally have 2 exams the 24 hours around the launch so I know how it feels to miss it! LOTV is the last SC2 launch and for all we know it might be the last large SC release so it would be a shame to not do anything.

Some good news I found out though that I will post later in general chat is it looks like Blizzard are now releasing Campaign missions every few months. This might be an example of how they plan to do future content?

Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:17 pm

I know how you like to skip the waffling.
remo

Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:47 pm

My suggestion - 1 person (Thats it 1 person) goes on our twitch page and streams the entire campaign from beginning to end. SIMPLE.
I'm going to be doing this myself. I will probably be playing more ladder than campaign but I intend to spend the whole day streaming as much as possible on our official twitch, ConfedLive. I encourage everyone who can to join me on teamspeak while I'm streaming.

I will be attempting to recruit as much as possible and it would really help to have some officers around to guide people through the recruitment process so I can avoid spending streaming time explaining the details to them on air.
Boo

Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:09 pm

Doadrift wrote: an improved ingame chat system and community functions.
Good joke. I can't even reply to people when I am ingame. You get kicked from the group if you are afk for like 15 minutes. You can't copy paste anything anymore. Having multiple conversations is just chaotic. You also can't close any conversations so if you talk to a lot of people you have to search through a giant list of names. David has quite a bit of fixing to do.
Doadrift wrote:We have a recruitment button on the twitch page so the caster can just mention it here and there and thats it.
Sounds good.
Doadrift wrote:- Not as extravagant as a tournament, clan war or 24 hour stream.
- Not multiplayer related/ Not showing competitive skill of clan.
To be honest, I don't even think that that's necessarily a bad thing. Most people we recruit are not really that competitive; most just seem to like the community aspect and that's all they engage in, even if most of the time only for a short time lol.
I used to do some stuff. Now I don't anymore.
Oblivion

Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:15 pm

Hello,

I think this is a fantastic point made by Doadrift:
Doadrift wrote:LOTV will be great and the launch should bring in a lot of people, the things the clan needs to think about are POTENTIAL and RETENTION. Can we sit back and expect LOTV to fix everything? No. Does LOTV offer a lot of potential to rebuild? Yes.
Lastly we need to think about why people join the clan. My list of reasons would be (in no particular order):
After seeing what happened to ConFed between SC:BW and SC2:WoL, this could either be a fantastic opportunity for ConFed to thrive and rebuild, or it could turn into a horrible disaster. It will be up to you all to take advantage of the chance to get a quick infusion of new and active members into ConFed - but it will take some effort.

I look forward to seeing what happens with the clan and if I can offer any assistance, I will do my best to help. Creating graphics, getting on TS, returning in some active capacity. You all just let me know.

Thanks,
A1

PS- Good ideas Doadrift on the Twitch, etc. Focus on what you all want to 'market' ConFed as, get everyone to buy in, and then recruit hard and stick with it.
Formerly Known as A1a3a1(ConFed)

:|: Inducted as a Confederation Legend in 2009 :|:

Commandant :|: Fleet Admiral :|: Domestic Advisor :|: Vice President :|: President
remo

Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:03 pm

Oblivion wrote:getting on TS, returning in some active capacity
Please?
  • Information