Upcoming keeper events for lotv launch

For Joint Chiefs of Staff discussions.
Liqht

Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:14 pm

So after last nights meeting I agreed to run a tournament on our stream for lotv launch as well as posed some other ideas for keeper events so I am just making a thread to discuss some of these things.

LOTV Launch Day keeper tournament
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I am thinking of doing is running a 8 man tournament in legacy where I would have all of the games played prior to the day of the stream and then I would get a couple of people to cast the replays on the day of the stream. The tournament would consist of only keepers. I think it would be a good way of showing off some of our better players and getting a good look at new legacy strategies. I will run some practice events with the keepers leading up to this so we all get a chance to create new strategies prior to the event. I think the only realistic way of this happening is to do it through casted replays on the day of the stream and let all the games get played out before because we function on pretty different schedules for the most part. Remo suggested doing winners interviews which i think would be fun as well but im not sure how i would want this to work out because the games would not be played on the day of the stream. Also i think i could probably get some keepers to cast it as well which might be good for a more analytical stream but im not sure. I think this could be a pretty solid event for our stream and it could take up at least a few hours depending on how many games i make each round. The only issue with this plan overall is that we currently only have 7 keepers and i would like to have a full 8 man tournament.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pre-launch tournament
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In order to fill in the last member for the above tournament I would like to add at least one more member to the keeper roster before legacy launch. We normally have selected players play against the guardian in order to join the keepers but this has not been attracting a lot of attention lately so i thought a tournament would be a cool idea. The way it would work would be a single elimination bracket with hopefully at least 8 players but 16 would definitely be better. I am not sure if i would want to do this all at once or use replays the way I am doing for the launch tournament yet. Ideally it would be a masters+ tournament and the winner of the tournament(or maybe the finalists) would be given a spot in the keepers(assuming that he is not a ridiculously BM player or something along those lines). This would fill out our last spot with a pretty good player ideally and it would also be another event that promotes activity in the clan.

Those are my ideas for now so if you have any comments or ideas please tell me. I think they would work out pretty well and we can discuss the details of them in this thread. I'm just posting this to see how people feel about it and hopefully within the week i can have actual events scheduled.

-Liqht
remo

Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:55 pm

I think your launch day keeper tournament sounds great! I'm sure boo will be interested in casting and one of our new members, joker i think, is also interested in casting events. Let's also make sure that whatever we cast on twitch also ends up on the official youtube.

I also like your idea for a get into keepers tournament. However, I'm worried that you're not going to find enough people for this. Of the 10 masters players in the clan that are not in the keepers already, only one is actually regularly active with clan events and such and that's yachtmaster. He is going to be a captain which means he can't be keeper at the same time.

So your other nine to work with are runei(Saturday, 2015/September/26, 8:59 AM), propanda(Tuesday, 2015/June/16, 9:39 PM), cyanide(Wednesday, 2015/October/07, 11:49 PM), lucas(Saturday, 2015/October/03, 9:05 PM), netmaster(Wednesday, 2015/October/07, 8:28 PM), houzi( Monday, 2015/October/12, 9:55 PM), solo( Tuesday, 2015/October/13, 9:47 AM) and aadaf(Monday, 2015/October/12, 9:17 PM). The dates are for their last website login at the time of writing this post(10/13/2015 3:40pm) which should give you an idea of how likely they each are to see and respond to a thread about a tournament.

The numbers look much more encouraging if you open it up to the 17 diamonds in the UMC but I understand your reasons for wanting it to be masters exclusive.

If you want to get 8 of these 9 people in a tournament I'd suggest catching them on bnet, encouraging them to get on TS more, and then pitch the tournament. You might also considering advertising the tournament outside the clan (reddit, tl, battle.net forums) and make it clear that it is open to any masters who has joined the clan prior to the registration deadline for the tournament.

These are both good events. I appreciate your setting them up.

As for keeper recruiting in general, keepers need to start doing it. It is the unfortunate truth that gold and plat players don't recruit many high masters. Please ask your boys to step it up w/ recruiting when laddering, even in LotV. I picked up two new members in 16 games yesterday on LotV. Ya'll play a damn sight more than I do. I've never understood why keepers (not just this batch but also historically) are so adverse to trying to recruit people when laddering.
</bitching>
Boo

Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:14 pm

remo wrote:I'm sure boo will be interested in casting and one of our new members, joker i think, is also interested in casting events.
Lol. Let's see if he sticks around long enough. Also, I think we should have him cast other games before that one, so that it isn't his first time casting something and he is completely lost.
remo wrote:However, I'm worried that you're not going to find enough people for this.
I completely agree with Remo on this one. I have a lot of trouble finding people to play in the clan wars and often have to go to people like Proxy and Jacobis since the other masters players are never online, or at least not in the community channel. It's also worth to note that people like Runei, propanda and Netmaster play primarily team games and will probably not be too interested in playing. Aadaf on the other hand seems really eager to play, but I already mentioned that in the last meeting. stYrke might be another possible candidate. He seems to play quite a bit and beat Proxy in a few games.

And lastly, I agree that you guys need to do more recruiting if you're looking to have more high level players. Most people we recruit are rather low level and don't take the game too serious and thus either quit or stagnate.

And now after voicing all my concerns I'd like to say that the general ideas look pretty sweet.
I used to do some stuff. Now I don't anymore.
Tyrael

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:22 pm

As already established, we don't have a great deal of masters outside of UMC to hold such a tournament. Would it be an option to make this a more public and open to the community affair.

It could give the numbers you want/need to run the tournament and hopefully, gain some new members around master.
Liqht

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:46 pm

So yeah i was already pretty well aware we couldnt get that kind of showing from our masters. Although i would much prefer that we could. Ill try to recruit some people i guess dont really know how to go about that. As far as asking outside the clan i don't really care. I dont know how interesting it would sound to just random master players but might as well try it. I would really like to develop a more active high level non-keeper player base so that one i can put more pressure on my guys to actually get better and so that i dont have to settle for someone i done feel is that great just because i need more active members. Ill work on it but i have no idea how to go about it. I feel like most master players are looking for clans with players significantly better than them or alot of players around there skill who are active practice partners. We dont really offer that yet so it will be hard to attract alot of attention. Getting diamonds wouldn't be difficult if i had to guess but i would rather not have diamonds in keepers right now especially since masters isnt that hard to get rn.

Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:36 pm

Cyanide is the homie, really enjoys the clan, hes just not around all the time.
i think he is zerg though so that wont work out for keepers unless im wrong
Boo

Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:07 am

NeonFire wrote:i think he is zerg though so that wont work out for keepers unless im wrong
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

On another note, I always thought it was funny that a clan that used to be so against playing with zergs consists of predominantly zerg players nowadays.
I used to do some stuff. Now I don't anymore.
  • Information