Moving Forward - Other Games

Forum for officer related discussion. Only Ensign + JCOS may view and reply in this Forum.

Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:51 pm

This thread will be the main discussion among Officers of The Confederation Sergeant-President .

This is for pros and cons only. I do not want opinions to shape this discussion. I woild like for facts and reason to do it.Eventually StarCraft will die. If Hots is any indication it won't take long. March of 13 till fall of 15. Where as broodwar had atleast a 10 year run.

How do we continue growing the clan with other games?

How will other games mesh with our current structure?

Why should we expand other then keeping the clan alive?

Why shouldn't we expand, is it better to keep this pure and just let it run its course?

From a technical standpoint what are our limitations when it comes too growth?

What might be some of the costs involved?

What other games should we think about?

Only blizard games?

Do other games have to have some kind of clan tag or clan system before even being considered?

What sort of time table do we give ourselves?

Should we poll members before we pick a game?

One way to find other games of interest is to start holding events in said game. How do we do that tho? When do we start? Do we start?

Please consider these questions in your reply. In general I am for expansion. I would rather see the clan live then die. Change is a good thing.

Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:11 pm

-Be active, spread brotherhood and togetherness. Pitch ideas to attract more. Remain loyal, patient, and stay involved.

-It will distract our main agenda, but will raise interest in other areas while keeping a constant interest in the clan. In this way, if Starcraft dies down, we will have backup games to keep our clan together.

-Expansion will ensure that our clan continues and remains loyal around each other, rather than being a convenience for staying social in Starcraft II alone.

Why shouldn't we expand, is it better to keep this pure and just let it run its course?
-We should expand as an extension of entertainment rather than a necessity of longevity. Proper measures should be taken to install a solid hierarchy in other games from HC and prevent a tyrannical power struggle for dominance in other games. All leaders should be appointed by voting instead of just assumed and snagged for lack of opposing ideas and passionate members who want the same.

From a technical standpoint what are our limitations when it comes to growth?
-The ability to properly manage an over-inflated body of members is part of a natural order of social nature called Dunbar's number. Around 150, social order decays and our clan will be no exception to this oddly natural phenomenon. Having a technically sound staff and active leadership will give us the best chance against this happening. Also, having pure friendship and loyalty will make our ability to grow limitless.

-Attention taken from focusing on Starcraft 2 goals.

-Only the most popular and influencial ones. Perhaps any game that gets interest from our members.

Only Blizzard games?
Tough question. I'd say no; we shouldn't limit ourselves or else our refusal to expand will be our limitation :P

Do other games have to have some kind of clan tag or clan system before even being considered?
-No, the ability to incorporate "ConFed" into the ID, while being important, shouldn't be necessary in having a membership in a certain game. These rosters should be put up on our website if it ever comes to it.

-I think the timetable changes weekly as our active body of membership morphs and flows back and forth. I think we should work with what we have and not put pressure on our responsibilities since we're working with and responding to what's available on battle.net

Yes as well as leaders managing that division.

One way to find other games of interest is to start holding events in said game. How do we do that tho? When do we start? Do we start?
-Perhaps the same way we do any event. Have members join on that specific game on the specific time, have fun, and see where that goes (kind of vague answer) Deff should think about this more though...

My answers are just my opinion. I'm not proposing anything other than my thoughts on the questions. Please don't take any of my answers out of context as I answered honestly and am just trying to respond properly. Answers may be edited in the future to adjust to better thoughts as they come.

Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:24 pm

I will reply, but first I need to say this: I was always a proponent for expanding to other games and I am a person who frequently plays other games with Clan Mates (DayZ, LoL, H1Z1, etc etc). However I am also one who likes to play devil's advocate and I have seen both sides to the argument. My opinion is that we need to keep SC our main focus ESPECIALLY the Captains (Kaz looking at you buddy). We also don't want discord to be segregated between games something I have seen with the Runescape players.

Now to answer your questions:

How do we continue growing the clan with other hames (GAMES)?

Well for Blizzard Games that is pretty simple (same idea as Starcraft). For Steam Games it is also pretty simple, we make a clan/group on Steam and Require every player to have [ConFed] in their steam ID (you can change your Steam ID all the time. I think LoL has a similar clan system to Starcraft.

Simply make a Squad for that game and leave HC and Admirals the same.

Why should we expand other (games) then keeping the clan alive?

Wtf are you even asking here? I guess you are asking why we should expand, so my answer is simple: Starcraft will die out eventually.

Ok once again I will play Devil's advocate: You need to remember recruiting in other games is extremely hard compared to SC2, CSGO, LoL, even Heroes are extremely cancerous and so hard to get decent players into our community.

We have so many SC2 Players that we will naturally be SC2 focused, also there is no such things as Clan Wars in other games or Armature leagues. How will we keep these players satisfied?

Well we will need to have some of our Officers to own the games we will expand too (I have all the competitive games so I can help out during the early months of our expansion)

Competitive games only!!!! I cant stress this enough. My reasoning behind this is simply because Competition is what make people to strive to get better and interact with other players to get better. We don't need to expand into games like Rust, or DayZ, or fucking Dinosaurs.

Only blizard games?

No

Look at my above answer! I have a general knowledge on how to set up Clan systems in All Three major Game holders (Steam, Blizzard, Riot) since I have been in clans in every single competitive game before even Console games during my Pro Halo Days. ( I am still in a TF2 Clan LOL)

I can start now!

Yes

Look at an above answer!

Please consider these questions in your reply. In general I am for expansion. I would rather see the clan live then die. Change is a good thing.

JD we all agree here and I hope you take our feedback when making a decision.
shortland

Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:03 pm

Using [color] BB code tags, my response was too long to post :(

My indefinitely more colorful than Orions post here: Shortland's Response

Otherwise; if you don't like colors:

I personally think that LotV,(SC2 in general) will live longer than HotS for a few reasons; including DLCs (Nova special ops), and Co-Op.

I'm up for expanding it into other games. But mainly only if we're at the point where we want to leave SC2... I mean; it'll be nearly impossible to have a community in Overwatch if we only play it like once a week right? So I think we should only expand if we know that some of us (even casual members) will be focusing more time over in that game...

We have time JD. At best we have at least 2 years. LotV just came out.

I think now with Squads, and the refinement of the previously complex ConFed legislature, we're suitable to expand to other games with the same system. ([SC2]Alpha/[SC2]Bravo/[SC2]Charlie) -> ([Overwatch]Alpha, [Overwatch]Bravo, [Overwatch]Charlie)... But possibly begin with only Alpha and then add-on Bravo/Charlie when there's more members in those squads...

&

Why not expand? There are a bunch of you guys in ConFed I consider my friends <3 If I'm going with like 5 of you to another game; why not just have ConFed follow?

Limitations to growth... It's a fallacy IMO. I think we can expand and get 6k+ members like DRKPP... They're less organized and still manage to keep that many people together.

No, but on a serious note... I mean... The structure of ConFed was kinda made for a lot of people...
You've got squads; Captains, Lieutenants, Sergeants... Practically that's enough. And then HC to manage Captains...
ConFeds structure works for lots of people...

Costwise: Discord is free. Then there's the website which Remo hosts.
Besides the website, I don't think there's much upkeep for running ConFed.

I agree with Oreo. Competitive games only.
We can't have casual games like Minecraft, etc.
Other games: Possibly LoL(ikr... but it's a big game), Overwatch, CS:GO. Those are games I guess people kinda stick to.

Only blizard games?

No? Why would we...? We'd be limiting ourselves.

No, other games shouldn't have to have a clan or tag system... This widens our choices...

Timewise, again we don't need to rush this.
But when Overwatch comes out; I know for sure some people will be switching to it, so we definitely need to expand to Overwatch the day it comes out.

The polling thing:
I think it should be based off of: "hey overwatch just came out; how many of you ConFed members are going to be playing it."
We should expand to games mainly if our current members are leaving to the game... That way we have an already stable community for that game.

I don't think we should hold events in other games... We'd be basically killing off our SC2 branch if we do that... We should have events and stuff in those games when we already have a player base there.

[Captain] : [Admiral] : [Domestic Advisor]
Smallfry

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:06 pm

Start a squad for each game desired (e.g. LoL or CSGO), and have captains and dedicated members of that division host their own events/recruitment/channel. Give them their own dedicated game channel on discord, and also let them hang out in the general chat.

Adjust the website:
-on the ranks section, make a separate section for rankings in other games
-on the forums section, keep the one main board dedicated to general info and SC2, and make another for each game
-update the landing page to reflect less on SC2 and more on the clan community as a whole
Adjust discord:
-make a separate channel for each specific game
-allow users to hop in between channels, keeping the general chat focused on SC2
-give Smallfry a gold star

To provide a tight-knit community for more gamers who wish to be part of a clan.

Steady expansion over time is good, it allows for fresh faces and keeps the clan open to new members, but keep the quality of new players up by not recruiting EVERYBODY who you play with. Without steady expansion/recruitment, the community will become smaller and smaller as old members leave, until the clan is too small to be worth running.

From a technical standpoint what are our limitations when it comes to* growth?

Discord server limit, website traffic limit (although I do not foresee this as a problem in the near future), Discord channel organization, officer organization across games, and the weird recruitment process (having to sign up on the website AND join the Discord AND join the clan in SC2).

Decrease in familiarity and closeness of the clan as growth increases.

Console games (Rocket League, Rainbow Six, etc.)

Only blizzard* games?

No, expand out to League and Steam games would be a good start.

No, we should just try games one-off and see if we like it, then slowly adapt

Do an "other games night" once or twice a week, then start a division based on the success

Yes

One way to find other games of interest is to start holding events in said game. How do we do that though*? When do we start? Do we start?

Don't know enough to contribute
Last edited by Smallfry on Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SunGodEffect

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:37 am

We could go with other games but I would only do new games like overwatch but lets not be one of those clan where we go to a bunch of other games as far as playing on a tag of some sort. I dont wana see us trying to become a FPS clan playing CS or COD and all that when we are a RTS starcraft clan thats where the history of this is and thats why we are all here is for sc2. overwatch ok good pick others fps no thx. LoL no thx its to old.. DotA2 maybe but it sux.. Any future RTS games maybe... thats my thoughts

It could kill us if there is to many big clan groups on differnt games.. could cause people to slpit off confed all together. A couple big clan groups on 2-3 could be good and not be to much stress on the higher ups.

Could bring new people over to sc2 that have never really played RTS and become long lasting loyal members.

I would not be against not expanding to other games. we can always play as a group in other games but we shouldnt have to wear a tag. Sc2 should be our main focus for atleast another year or two or three. lotv is pretty new still

We can grow in sc2 alot but the clan is already a pretty good size and its really active i think. whenever we focus alot on recruits we get them fast. 1 out of 5 new rcruits will turn out to be active and loyal for a long time. technical we could put the focus to mass recruiting a bunch of people in a bunch of games but who wants that stress and who has the time? i know i dont want the headache of recruiting in other games other than in sc2

to big of clans lose that friendly i know you kinda vibe

Overwatch atm maybe other games in the future

Only blizard games?

No not just blizzard but RTS games should be our main focus

if you plan on making it a clan game yes.. but can members can always play other games toegther without use any clan tags as a group and we can make them a discord channel for that game.

like shortland said a good 2 years for sc2 before we have to expand to other games to keep confed alive

yes for sure. everyone should have a say in expanding to other games but they should have a vote after the leaders first have a vote on it.

I wouldnt worry about it until after overwatch is out.

Added (2016/March/01, 1:37 AM)
---------------------------------------------
We all due repects I disagree with Orion I think its a good thing for kaz to be in a differnt channel with the runescape i wana say nerds lol jking kaz. But seriosly its ok to be split up in discord if we wana talk to the people playing runescape all u gotta do is join their channel and talk to them. I got kaz to quit doing runescape stuff the other day and play 2s with me. Trying to get up in ladder all the time can be stressful and if members wana play runescape for awhile to relax I think thats ok. anyways thats just a phase im sure the runescape stuff will slowly die a painful unactive death soon enough lol.

On another point as for kaz putting to much focus on runescape I also think that is false. I think his squad pretty much did a cw by themselves the same time charlie squad was doing a clan war. So as long as he keeps setting up clan wars for his squad and the clan all together he is doing his job right as a captian. He even recruited a few new people that are pretty good like jah. I feel like the clan hosting clan wars every weekend is the up most important thing! I am in the process of recruiting a person on battle.net forums for the reason that we do clan wars. Shit that was the main reason I joined confed was so I could do clan wars. (chobo league mainly but we will be in it next season) If confed wants to stay a active good clan I think clan wars setup every weekend should be our main focus. They dont even need to be squad only clan wars it could be the whole clan a anyone can war type deal and we can setup keeper wars and squad wars also but I think we should have a anyone in the clan can join war also atleast once a weekend.
remo

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:44 am

Because this is a starcraft clan. That is why we have cohesion now that we didn't a few months ago, everyone in the clan plays the same game and is here for the same reason. This other games horseshit is how we got Crunchy and LiT.

like shortland said a good 2 years for sc2 before we have to expand to other games to keep confed alive
This. Doing this now will only destroy what we have which is unfortunate because right now we *do* have a community with a focus.

_uVideoPlayer({'url':'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_Z ... 019R1AAMPc');

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:56 am

Thank you all for responding. I am glad I am not alone on the topic of expansion. Having said that it isn't something we need to do right now. I want to get the starcraft side of the clan bigger, at least 100 members. I want more squads. Before we expand I want more people to step up as leaders. I want to test many different games before we even poll people about making them official. I would like people too volunteer to do this.

To me expansion is just going to help us survive until sc3 comes out. Or until someone else comes up with another competitive RTS. In the mean time I would like us to expand into an mmmo, I'd love for us to have a wow guild. I think it's important that any game we do choose does have a clan tag. This serves two purposes. One we can better represent the clan. If there is no clan tag anyone can say they are apart of ConFed. This will allow trolls. The second reason is we will better be able to keep order. The rank Structure of this clan has always been it's strength even tho it may seem cumbersome and "work". The truth is with effective people running it the clan works quite well.

This thread is really to get us all thinking about our future as a clan and a community. We must prepare now so we don't have to play catch up.
TossNoSkill

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:17 pm

- This clan as of right now is centered around star craft, and i agree with short in the sense that we should wait for another 2 years or so before we expand to other games. (over-watch is my personal excitement)

- Well the current structure is, yet again, centered around star craft. Obviously we cant have squads with two different games being played and focused on. To be honest, I do not personally know at this time how our structure could be modified to fit new games.

Only blizzard games?
- Of course not! there are other games besides blizzard games that are competitive and can propose a focus for the community to grow and improve upon.
Kazuhiro

Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:42 pm

Each squad leader takes a game that they also like besides starcraft. By doing so they look for potential players within that game to add to the clan.

Our current structure as everyone else said is completely held up by starcraft. Starcraft is our foundation. A foundation is something that is meant to be built upon. However, we can certainly take as much time as we need for that structure to be built.

It brings variety to our players. It's not hard to get burned out on sc2. The games don't have to be competitive. Such as me, i host other games as i please. If people want to play they can. I do it so i can take a break and refresh myself so i don't begin to hate sc2. But im also ready at a moment notice if someone needs help with coaching or replay analysis or even sc2 clan wars.

We need to expand. There's no question or debate to that. We can't keep this clan pure and let it run its course. We do that we will be running the same course sc2 is. Sc2 IS DYING. who knows how long it will take but it is happening. Starcraft is no longer in its prime. It's an amazing game but no longer at the top. Expansion is a must if we want to stay alive.

As of right now? A forum only based on SC2. Our communications system otherwise is wonderful.

Losing some players but gaining even more in return.

CSGO, League, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch, and any other games our fellow Confederation citizens suggest.

Only blizard games?
CERTAINLY NOT! Far too many good games out there that weren't made by Blizzard.

No. That limits a ton of the games. We can represent our clan based on games that do have clan tags. But games without clan tags can be games where we just enjoy the hell out of ourselves.

As long as we need. We need to grow more before considering adding on other games. Not only that but we need to smooth out all the bumps in this road to starting this clan anew.

Yes and no. Yes for competitive games. No for laid pack and enjoyable games.

Take CSGO for example. We could hold 2v2,3v3,4v4,5v5. We don't start anytime soon based on the time table stated above. But we should start whenever we begin to consider other games.

I am with JD on all this. Expansion is a great thing. However, expanding too soon will cripple us. Take our time with this. IT WILL happen otherwise we will slowly fade away. SC2, let's face it, is no longer in its prime. Consideration and planning needs to begin for expansion. Again however long that takes is how long it takes. We can't rush these delicate situations.
Last edited by Kazuhiro on Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For The Swarm
Faded

Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:05 am

I used to be for expanding but the soul of ConFed is a StarCraft clan, we have systems in place where we will be able to keep in contact with eachother if Legacy dies, i don't think it will. Legacy is the last Sc2 expansion, there are so many people who will continue to play this game for a long time, myself included. Expanding to other games in my eyes would be a logistical nightmare. Juggling members events and keeping people engaged across multiple games would be the stuff to tear your hair out. Asking people to split time between games to help run just takes away effort which can be spent doing things in StarCraft and building the great community that we have. I have no problem with members playing other games, I do it myself but lets keep ConFed in StarCraft if Legacy dies then in my eyes ConFed should die with StarCraft. The idea of ConFed just doesn't work across the board into other games, its built around StarCraft.
Legend

Member Since 2006
Nico

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:23 pm

While I agree with the necessity of discussing the future, SC2 will be around for a while at least another 2-5 years and that's including the die-hard StarCraft fans. As with all good things though StarCraft will eventually fall off as did WarCraft the title that came before StarCraft. I agree with shortland, lets take this one step at a time LotV was just released a few months ago and with the DLC packs that Blizzard is releasing it should keep going for a while. Other games that have been suggested LoL, CS:GO Idk how to play them so I couldn't say but Steam aren't the only choices. But for now lets keep ConFed is StarCraft
Nico
FallenAngel

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:08 pm

The same way we got our sc2 clan to this point, just be active and friendly and keep playing the game and recruiting actively.

This can get a bit tricky depending on the game. Most blizzard games should fit with our structure for the most part, also team base games should be ok for example each 5 man team is a squad with a captain and all the other relevant ranks.

Expanding to other games doesn't have to mean we give up on the sc2 part of confed as long as we can find balance between our other games and sc2.

As someone that has had many clans across many different games in the past I have always felt its never bad for a clan to grow because you are always going to have people within the clan that enjoy playing other games and it is always nice as a clan member to play those games within your clan.

There isn't much holding us back right now, the only thing that we would need to do is figure out how to adapt the website to work for other games. The best way I can thing to do that would be to have individual roster pages for each game with their own squads and captains and so on and also a forum board for each game.

The only real cost would be a lot of time would have to be put in to get it all started but that's about it. I do know that people are concerned that a lot of our sc2 members will switch over to other games but a point I would like to make is that if they really wanted to switch to another game they probably would anyway at least now we are still keeping them in confed and not having them go to other clans that offer the games they want to play. I would also like to mention that just because some of our sc2 players might start playing other games doesn't mean they going to stop playing sc2 completely and there is no reason they cant be part of the sc2 roster and the heroes roster for example.

The best way to decide what game to start with would be to get a vote from the whole clan. In my opinion Heroes would be a good place to start because its a blizzard game and we already have a few guys that play so it would take much work to get it started and from that point we can figure out based on popular demand what games to go to next.

Only blizard games?

At first maybe just because it will be a bit easier from an organisational standpoint but as time goes on we should definitely look at going outside of blizzard games.

Yes, basically every game that can be played at a competitive level will have some kind of clan structure.

That depends on high command, personally I feel the clan is ready and I would start today if I could

Yes

That is a good way to figure out the clans interest in other games, the easiest way to do that is for example make a post saying heroes of the storm event for x date if you want to play be on discord at x time.

I hope that all makes sense to everyone. I know there are a lot of you guys that don't want to expand but there is no harm in trying it out because fine if it doesn't work we just go back to being a sc2 clan.
Titan

Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:52 pm

I don't think we need to expand to other games, other than maybe overwatch. Like Sungod said, most people in here exclusively for sc2, so that's where our focus and resources should be aimed at. As far as growth is concerned we should continue be friendly and ask people if they want to be a part of the community. I think we should host more open peep modes and post on the sc2 related website to advertise our clan more frequently.
-Titan
IMperfectiON

Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:42 pm

how should we continue growing the clan with other games?
After being a part of ConFed for 7 months, and becomi.g Commandant this is what I have noticed regarding events with sc2.
Everything uses the regular 1v1 2v2 whatever format of SC2. How are we going to keep the more casual players interested if all we do is play competetive games?
Well I think it's pretty simple do more arcade related events or some kind of chill session yu know?
How should we expand to other games?
Don't if we are going to expand I suggest expanding to another server such as EU. This way we will grow larger without causing many arguments and civil war in our own clan.
Problems with recruitment growth?
While the recruitment proccess is pretty simple it is a terrible Idea of having only a few people be recruitment. In my previous clan there was only one person as recruitment officer. When he became inactive the clan slowly died out with the final straw being our elimination from the playoffs of the CTL. All of that could have been avoided if we had 3-4 recruitment officers
The Golden Armada awaits
IMperfectiON

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:00 pm

I'm going to add this cause I was using a crappy old phone for this and got cut off.
Like Orion said change is a good thing however if we expand to other games now we will have difficulty maintaining the balance in the clan.

What are some of the costs involved?
Never try to expand to two games of the same genre. If we expand to let's say league and Dota2. Imagine how much conflict there will be in our clan.
Ik it's ineviteble that we expand to other games. But we should take precaution as to what type of game we expand to and the competition.
The Golden Armada awaits
  • Information